Tuesday, July 19, 2011

DIY Beginnings

("Mon Amour, Mon Grande Amour") translates My Love, My Great Love..

The burlap curtains spurred an idea of a burlap pillow, and later a ticking stripe pillow. I briefly thought about buying them at Pottery Barn. Do you know how easy it is to make pillows? Thanks to my 8th grade "home/cooking" class (I can not remember for the life of me what these classes were called), my pillow making skills never left me. Growing up around creative types planted seeds of "oh I can do that" or "I can't pay for that if I could do it myself". So, ALOT of my home decor is fashioned by hand. Not that exceeds the elegance of Pottery Barn, but I love their style so it is similar. So I bought chalkboard paint, hung a large frame around the board, and sewing two pillow covers. It was such a joy to toss the old pillow covers that I've looked at over the years(yes,years). In art school the saying went, "great artists steal." The first thought as a newbie art student was, "I HAVE to make something original!" Then you discover it's near impossible, and smile when your "stealing" manages to become an original. So, below pictures a(one) $40 pillow COVER. I spent about thirty minutes and ZERO dollars.

Pictured at Pottery Barn

Even if you don't have a sewing machine, chalkboard paint, or extra frames laying around your house, try to think creatively in order to save money. The ticking fabric sold for a few dollars a yard, burlap is cheap, and chalkboard board paint it too. Any of you have DIY ideas?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails