Sunday, April 3, 2011

8 years ago


The smell of flowers reminded me of saying goodbye to mom. Eight years ago she gained her ten thousand charms. Knowing her, she probably made sure the charms were somewhat gaudy, colorful, and worn with a variety of outfits. At 55, cancer came knocking on her door..at our door. No one is ever ready for that phone call, or life change, overnight. Over the past eight years my life, as with my older sisters, has changed and looks alot different without her in it. The wonderful part of a memory is that it tells a great story, it warms the heart. Preparing for marriage has reminded me of her alot. It's the most sentimental feeling when I look at her in wedding pictures.


A little about her...my mom left a legacy of junk queens that I'm so proud of, seriously. When I share about how my mom did covert operation "alley rides" to find tossed furniture, lamps, or anything that was of value to resale at our grandmother's flea market, my hearts pounds and I begin to think of doing the same thing secretly around my own neighborhood. 
Or how she could:
 fi·na·gle/fəˈnāgəl/Verb

    1. Obtain (something) by devious or dishonest means.

2. Act in a devious or dishonest manner: "they finagled over the fine points" to sell or buy just about anything, or even enjoy making fun of herself, you just can't see the whole picture. One of her famous lines was about her "chicken legs." Everyone her knew her, knew how self-conscious she was about her legs, because she loved to see people laugh. .. strangers alike..she would tell them..if she ever wore shorts. Most of my life I remember her talking about ankle weights... her ankles were skinny...hence her "chicken leg" dance was always a hit on the holidays with family. Making best friends with random people was a daily habit. In turn, I love people like that, they're such jewels. 


My mom taught me about life..to take it by the tail, if you will. To live life without regrets or fears, knowing that the Giver of life is an endless fountain. The character, wit, and charm my mom radiated to people around her isn't easy to forget. I learned to love the unlovable, persevere, stand firm to Christ, and give to others unselfishly. When I look back at the person she was, I smile. I look at nature, I remember that angels are all around us, and embrace the moment of life. Remembering teachable moments that were between my mom and I. Listening to the still, soft, gentle voice of God reminding me that He knows best, it's all part of His majestic plan, and then I rest in my heart. My last encouragement to my mom nearing her end of life was my own life verse that God had seared into my heart. She was my biggest fan as child, teenager, and young adult. She inspired me to run well growing up and later as a young adult. I loved how she continually was my biggest fan in life. I hope this scripture encourages you today! 

Hebrews 12:1-2:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,(2)looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails