Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shrove Tuesday


Yesterday was 'Shrove Tuesday', the day before Ash Wednesday. It's intended to be a day of relaxing, in preparation for a season of self-discipline, self-denial, and self-sacrifice. So, traditionally pancakes are made to eat as a last "indulgent" before Lent. Last night I decided to begin the Lent season with Buckwheat Blueberry pancakes. Yum! Enjoying a pancake supper I began to think about the season of repentance approaching. Everthing in our culture encourages and promotes self-indulgence rather than self-denial. Jesus taught that we should fast, pray, and give. Today I attended an Ash Wednesday service held by Redeemer Community Church. The introduction to this season brought such joy to my heart. I've never attended an Ash Wednesday service, so my heart was attentive and inquisitive. After scripture readings, prayer, and a worship song, we received communion and the ash blessing. Yes, I'm wondering who will stop me today and ask why I have a black mark on my forehead. My heart is full of joy in His presence.
“The Rock, his work is perfect,for all his ways are justice.A God of faithfulness and without iniquity,just and upright is he. Deuteronomy 32:4

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails